Sunday, May 16, 2010

Fiberglass to Wood

I forgot to take a picture of this board when it was handed to me by Jeff Malmen--he shaped it especially for me to paint. It's a nice size of 8' and is an incredible shape. For now it is just hot coated, which I what I prefer to paint on. When I'm done painting it, I will deliver it to Jeff so he can put the final gorgeous coat of gloss resin on it. He will buff it out to a shine.

This board was solid white, with a 1/4" basswood stringer and a redwood glassed-on fin. Here is the work in progress:

Faux redwood and heartgrain wood with crossfire










You can see where I am going to paint a Hawaiian mermaid on the bottom of this board. She will be laying on lava rock, near the edge of the shore.



More updates to come as I work come closer to finishing it.....

No comments:

Post a Comment